Updated: August 30, 2023
The artwork is on the walls in the Dining Room! And it looks great! Come see how the Nevada Arts Council and the Nevada Artists Association have helped make our Dining Room look fantastic!
Also, put September 15th on your calendar as we are going to have an official ribbon cutting to celebrate the completion of our construction project. This will be an opportunity to thank everyone that were integral partners in making this project a success. 11:00 AM in the Dining Room. Please note that lunch service will start a little later than normal and please have a seat until the event is over.
Updated: July 31, 2023
After several months of construction, the Carson City Senior Center is set to reopen its main entrance and serve lunch in the dining room on Thursday, August 3. Doors will open at 9 a.m., and lunch will be served from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The renovation included new flooring, updated bathrooms, and a whole new look to the dining room. The reopening will mark the end of the drive-thru lunch service. A new service feature, "To-Go" meal pickup, will be available with the regular on-site lunch service. To take a meal to-go, participants must bring their own containers.
This project was funded with the City ARPA fund, ADSD ARPA fund, and Carson City Capital Improvement Program. Once all the finishing touches are complete, a grand reopening ribbon cutting will be scheduled later in the coming months.
Call the Senior Center for more information at (775) 883-0703.
Updated: July 11, 2023
We have passed all of our inspections and we will be continuing to work on the "finishing touches" mentioned below for the next few weeks. We will tentatively be reopening on Thursday, August 3rd. At that point, the dining room and front lobby, including the bathrooms, as well as the main/west entrance will be open to the public. In the meantime, please continue to observe the signage asking you to stay out of certain areas.
Again, thank you for your patience during this process and we look forward to being fully open again to serve you!
Updated: June 27, 2023
The Carson City Senior Center is getting closer to reopening. We have several big inspections scheduled that will give us the green light to
reopen the closed areas. And at this time we cannot give an exact date of reopening. Here's what we know:
- When we reopen, we will still be completing "finishing touches". Lobby flooring, wall art, signage, new furniture, paint, and other updates are still coming. No more full closures but some areas may be temporarily unavailable during install.
- Get ready for big changes in our dining room - new beverage bar with new equipment you can self-serve, new systems, and a whole new look. Be patient as we learn with you what works and what needs to be improved.
Thanks for your patience!
TO-GO MEALS WILL BE CONTINUED AFTER REOPENING
Good news! When the dining room opens, you will be allowed to take your FULL meal "TO-GO". Rules have changed to allow us this additional option of our On-Site (Congregate) lunch program.
- Bring all containers you'll need for your meal. We are unable to provide packaging.
- Complete a brief survey explaining your need for this service(available at check-in).
- Sign-in with the touchscreen. Select "To-Go". Our check-in volunteers will help you navigate the touchscreen.
- Place a voluntary contribution in the To-Go donation box.
- Pick up your meal at the service window on a tray. We are unable to package the meal for you.
- Take your meal to a table and package in the containers you brought.
- Leave the tray at the table and we will buss it for you.
- Enjoy your meal at home or wherever you like!
This is new to us too! Give us feedback and please be patient in our missteps. We think this service is highly needed and we are excited to offer it for you.
Updated: March 15, 2023
The Carson City Senior Center under construction on the west wing of the building starting Tuesday, February 21, 2023. The main (west) entrance will be closed and the public will need to enter through the east entrance. The on-site dining room will be closed, and lunch will be served, Monday thru Friday, from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM by drive-thru. Drive-thru will be staged in the main (west) parking lot the same way the service was offered during the pandemic. All meals will be packaged to-go. There will be limited seating available on-site in a pop-up dining room on a first-come basis. Meals on Wheels will operate as normal. Activities scheduled in the west wing impacted by construction will be relocated to new rooms in the east wing. New locations will be posted at the east entrance. Construction will finish at the end of June (tentative). Updated construction schedules and impact will be communicated as they become available. For more information, please call (775) 883-0703.
Starting March 23, construction will start the next phase moving into the dining room, galley, single bathroom (across Nevada Room), and nearby areas. Lunch will continue to be served as drive-thru or pop-up dining from 11:00 AM -12:00 PM.
For activities, events and meeting groups, here’s what you need to know:
Groups meeting in the Zephyr, Carson, and Dining Rooms – you have been moved to a new location (see list below). The TV schedules will have the new locations marked in red.
- Thursday Bingo – Nevada Room
- Bible Study – Sierra Room
- Beta Sigma Phi – Sierra Room (4/5/23 – Comstock)
- Advisory Council – Job’s Peak
- Governing Board – Job’s Peak
- Blind Support Group – Job’s Peak
- Cribbage – Tahoe
- NVCC – Case Manager Office
- Medicare – Case Manager Office
- Don & Nadine Dance - Nevada Room (1st Wednesday of the month, 6-9pm)
- Sunday Bingo - Last bingo on 3/19 - no other Sunday bingos scheduled after 3/19 until construction is complete.
Nevada Room activities
- No changes to your location or schedule.
- Bathrooms across the hall will not be available.
- No water or other services from the kitchen will be available. Bring water.
- Plan for noise from construction
All other groups – no changes to your location or schedule.
- Communicate to your participants they need to enter at the East Entrance. They will be turned away at the west (main) entrance.
- Parking will be a premium. Please park along the street if you are able to walk longer distances.
- Schedules will be tight – you may not have time for early setup and plan to wrap up right at the end time of your meeting time. Schedules on the doors have been updated and show what is happening before or after your time. If you like to visit before or after, plan to do so in the hallway or other areas to accommodate other groups using the rooms (look at the schedules to see if you need to do so).
- For groups turning money to Accounting, turn your money to Michael's office. For safety reasons, you will NOT have access to the Accounting Office.
- Reception will be moved to the east entrance and available as normal.
If you have any questions, let me know. I appreciate your patience with us during the construction. It will be frustrating but we will get through it. The plans are fluid and can change to better serve you as best we can.